Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Nobody's Mother or dog's mother?

I just read about a relatively new book called "Nobody's Mother: Life Without Kids" by Lynne Van Luven. Teena from Toronto featured it on her blog called "It's All About Me!" Well, there's a good blog title. But I wonder if it also relates to people who are childless by choice. It's all about meeeee, not about some rugrat who's going to take all my time, attention and money. Never mind. I'm biased. But the book does sound interesting. Although I don't think it has too much about being childless by marriage, I'm ordering it and will report on it when I've read it.
Teena from Toronto says she and her husband Gord consider their dog and two cats their "kids." I can't tell you how many childless women have told me they're gaga over their pets. Does this say they really wanted children but preferred the kind you could lock in the back yard when you wanted to go somewhere or didn't want them around?
I don't think that's true for me. I wanted a dog because I adore dogs. Sadie is not a child substitute. If I had 15 kids, I'd still want dogs.
As I think I reported earlier, my dog Sadie has cancer. She's doing pretty well right now, but the doctor has decided more chemo would be too hard on her, so we have a couple months with her at best. Very sad, but we try not to ruin the time we have by thinking too far ahead.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This blog has moved. Please switch over to the new site at http://www.childlessbymarriageblog.com. All of the old posts have already been transferred over there, and it would make life easier if you would comment at that site. Thank you.

No comments: