Thursday, June 12, 2008

Suddenly they're everywhere!

I'm on the road with my husband this week, and it seems as if everywhere we go, there are children, small children, oodles of them. Even Tuesday at orientation for dog class, the teacher had to talk over the chatter of little kids whose parents think it will be good for them to train the dog. At every restaurant, we get seated next to a table of little ones who seem to think the world revolves around them. They don't talk; they scream, and it gets old. But tonight while I gorged on a Denny's chocolate brownie with ice cream and hot fudge, I watched a new mother hold her baby. You could tell they had a special connection. It didn't seem to bother her when he babbled and squealed and grabbed for every condiment on the table. The mom ate a salad, probably trying to lose the baby weight and also not having time to eat much. The father blithely devoured a burger and fries.
Watching, I envied the closeness of mother and child and knew it would not last long before the child was too big to cuddle and would be demanding "Tacos!" or letting the world know they don't like peas.
Was I sorry I don't have children? Yes and no. It will always be that way.
I'm typing this in the lobby of our hotel. A woman checking in responded, "Thank God, no" when asked if she had kids or pets with her. As someone who left her puppies at home and can put my shoes on the floor without having them chewed up, I agreed. Love them, but sometimes a little grownup people time is good. I even got the pool to myself, except for a motel cat named "Mouse" who minded his own business. Bliss.
I have a time limit and this keyboard leaves out half the letters. Gotta go.
Your comments are welcome.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This blog has moved. Please switch over to the new site at http://www.childlessbymarriageblog.com. All of the old posts have already been transferred over there, and it would make life easier if you would comment at that site. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting to explore and come to terms with living childfree and I find your observations, thoughts and feelings about being around others' children insightful, thoughtful, and helpful. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant "living a childLESS life." Whew... What a relief to actually say it!