Thursday, April 10, 2008

No, not dogs again!


Yes, dogs again. Sorry, but that's all I can think about these days. You see, Fred and I adopted two 7-week-old puppies last week, and it really feels as if I have two babies. They're the same weight as babies, have the same needs, and fill the same needs in my heart. Last night, my church choir surprised me with a puppy shower. There were two baby blankets, but of course no little onesies. I did get dog treats, chew toys galore, balls, weewee pads, and lots of advice. There was a gorgeous white-frosted cake with big red flowers on it. This may sound totally nuts, but it felt as if I had received something I'd been waiting for all my life. I sat on the floor of the chapel opening presents and soaking it all in.
As assistant director, I was surprised that there had been a wave of e-mail that didn't include me. Those sneaky singers.
Puppies are certainly not the same as humans. They won't take care of you in your old age. Conversations are rather one-sided. And they poop and piddle on the floor. But for the childless woman who wanted children and didn't have them, they're one way of filling that emptiness.
Has anyone else found that to be true? What other ways can you feed the maternal need? I'd love to hear your ideas.
And yes, I promise to get back to human issues next time.

No comments: