Friday, December 23, 2011

Find the light in this holiday season

My dear friends,

It's almost Christmas. I know this is a tough time for people who are grieving the loss of the children they might have had. We also miss those who have passed away. I know I would give anything for another hug from my husband or to hear my mother laugh again. But we have to accept things as they are right now, today.

Look around you and see all the good things you do have: your health, your home, the wonderful people in your life, good food, and this beautiful earth on which we live. Just now, I looked out my window and saw wild birds having a party. Bright blue Stellar's jays, brown-and-orange varied thrushes, and black-hooded Oregon juncos grazed on the lawn while a purple-breasted swallow swooped across the sky. A hint of blue showed through the clouds, and my Sitka spruce stood tall and strong despite decades of harsh wind, rain and frost. The winter solstice has past, and we will be getting more daylight every day. There is much to be grateful for.

Yes, we are surrounded by people who have children when we don't. It's easy to resent them. Don't. Love them, and love their children. Be glad they are here. If you are meant to be a parent, you will, but meanwhile, don't blind yourself to everything good in this season of light and joy.

Merry Christmas and may God bless you all.
Hugs,
Sue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you Sue. xox

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for putting a voice to so many women (& probably mens') silent thoughts. It feels GOOD to have a place to go where someone understands the pain. I'm just starting on the journey of moving past it. Your positivity is very needed & refreshing. Have a wonderful 2012!