Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How do you answer THE QUESTION

When people ask why you don't have children, what do you say? My favorite answer so far is "because I've seen yours." Another good one is, "No, would you like to give me yours?" But really, a lot parents start their conversations with "Do you have children?" And when you say "no," they want to know why. Depending on my mood, I just say, "No I don't. God had other plans," or I explain that I have three stepchildren but no kids of my own. Several of my friends just say they have dogs.
Do people ask you? What do you say?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This blog has moved. Please switch over to the new site at http://www.childlessbymarriageblog.com. All of the old posts have already been transferred over there, and it would make life easier if you would comment at that site. Thank you.

6 comments:

..... said...

I am a 29 yr old married entrepreneur and I have no plans or inclination to have kids .People continuously pose the "why" question's to me and give me the leper look lol .My answer I simply don't want them .

..... said...

I am a 29 yr old married entrepreneur and I have no plans or inclination to have kids .People continuously pose the "why" question's to me and give me the leper look lol .My answer I simply don't want them .

Sue Fagalde Lick said...

The "leper look." I love it. I've experienced that, too. Saying it straight out certainly ends the conversation.

Jennifer said...

No We didn't know how to do it.

Unknown said...

Long story short...I thought the man I married had the same dreams. He made excuses every time I brought up children. We we older when we got married. Out of the blue he said he just wanted to adopt. I started adoption proceedings. Then he said he wanted private adoption. I'm skipping a lot of details, which I don't know if that matters. But I'm having a hard to making PEACE. I'm 48 now so it just seems I won't have a family. I'm ANGRY that we didn't even try to get pregnant. I blame him. I get so distraught that I cry all the time. We have done the counseling, I have talked to my priest, I had been on depression medicine. I need to know how to be ok, cuz I'm not. Anyone out there with this situation?

Sue Fagalde Lick said...

Kay, So you wound up with no kids? I'm so sorry. You have a right to be upset. He ripped you off. I pray that you find a way to be okay with the situation now.
Readers, any advice for Kay?